Sunday, January 27, 2008

We Love You President Hinckley

I heard tonight that our wonderful prophet passed away today. He was so wonderful! I'm so happy that he is back with his wife again! He has been our prophet since my senior year in high school and I got to see him several times while I was at BYU and when I went to conference...he is so wonderful. I love how the church website calls him "beloved" for that is so true.

My most recent memory of him was when he came to dedicate the Sacramento Temple. The day before the dedication the youth in our area put together a cultural celebration that included 12 choral pieces the kids sang. I spent the summer helping to teach the youth in my local area the music and it was such a wonderful summer. President Hinckley was there for the performance and for a special meeting just before. We were in the ARCO area (when the Sacramento Kings basketball team plays) and they invited all of the youth to sit on the floor of the arena (in costume) for the meeting that was being broadcast to the Sacramento area. When President Hinckley walked in the entire arena hushed and stood up. President Hinkley saw the youth and smiled and waved to them and they waved back with huge smiles. President Hinckley loved that so we waved his cane up in the air at them and they applauded and cheered him on. It was wonderful to see him connect with these incredible youth and to feel the energy in the room. I was so grateful to get to be there for that wonderful experience and I felt so much love for this beloved man. We will miss him!!

No comments: