Sunday, February 17, 2008

Random Thoughts

Daddy and I were trying to coordinate schedules and discovered that he forgot to tell me about an experiment he was running late one day. I reminded him that it really helps when he communicates those sorts of things to me and he said "sometimes I forget to communicate with myself." I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!!!!

Yesterday our ward had time reserved at the dry pack cannery and we found out that kids who can be trusted were welcome to help. So we packed everyone up and Daddy was wonderful and played with Mg and A in the parking lot while M and E helped me...they were WONDERFUL!!! I was hoping they would be willing to try but expected that they would get bored after a few minutes and I would send them out to play with Daddy. They stayed in there the whole hour with their hairnets and gloves on busily scooping food into cans and keeping us stocked with empty cans. It was so fun and I was so proud of my little helpers! They're excited to go do it again :) Since we were already in Sacamento we had looked up and went to a park pretty close by called McKinnley park and had a great time together - it was such a beautiful sunny day! They had fun on the playground but then we got out the bat and ball that we brought - there was an empty baseball diamond - a "real" one with bases to run to and everything and the girls had SO much fun hitting the ball and having Daddy chase them to a base. When both girls were on a base Daddy would pitch the ball to himself and when he hit it the girls would run while he chased his own ball and then ran after them. Sweet Mg had a great time running bases when ever she felt like it and which ever direction and order pleased her at the moment :) We had left our stroller at home to fit the food storage in our trunk so I was assigned cheerleader and baby holder duty :) We had a great time and ended with a little frisbee. Then we made Daddy's day and stopped at Fry's (his favorite electronic store) so he could drool over hdtv's and all sorts of stuff and tell me all of his dreams for a future house. We had a great day.

Today was also a good day. E read a scripture for Primary and did such a good job! One of our goals this year was to switch from just telling a scripture story to the kids before bedtime to actually reading it out of the scriptures. We had planned to still show them the picture of the story we were reading and slowly make it through the Book of Mormon but "The Friend" has a reading program for the year that we switched to (January's). They have selected chapters to read each month so you make it through an abbreviated version of the Book of Mormon by the years end. It has been so wonderful - my mom got them each their own scriptures (with their name on it!) and each night they grab them and we sit and read...I am amazed that M can read most of the words by herself and E is excited to read all of the words she knows. Tonight I was remembering one of the first times I got to read the Book of Mormon by myself for family scripture time and remembering how proud I was that I was big enough to read and it just made me so happy to watch my girls read. It's those moments that keep you going! How grateful I am for a wonderful upbringing - thanks mom and dad!!!! You guys are incredible. It is certainly these moments when you realize what is most important and what brings true happiness.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

This was a fun post to read. I can just picture the kids running around on the field. Your girls were really good helpers at the cannery. I'm glad they got to do that.