I have really been enjoying cooking the last several months. One of those enjoyable chores :) A few things have led to this happy hobby...
1) We have a monthly cooking club with church and each month we pick a theme (breads, healthy foods, treats, etc) and everyone brings samples and their recipe for that topic. I have really been enjoying getting ready each month and I'll try new things to share - it has really made cooking a lot more fun.
2) My husband loves food!!! He really loves yummy bread to go along with his meals so I have been spending quite a bit of time lately learning about the different ingredients and techniques of baking and it is SO satisfying to smell fresh bread baking and have it turn out beautifully on the table!
3) We've been counseled to store a year's supply of food. When my parents moved they gave us quite a bit of their storage that was going to expire soon, especially oats, so I started looking for ways to use it up. Then I wanted to learn to use the other food we had stored (wheat, beans, etc) so I've started working on those foods. Now I am also working on a 3 month supply of foods we regularly eat (spaghetti, etc) and trying to figure out a months menu using foods that would store well for several months. It has been a fun challenge to make it yummy, healthy and interesting.
So all of this has led to trying a lot of foods (and almost all have turned out well!) and feeling pretty happy with myself. I've been thinking about sharing some of the recipes on my blog for a few months now but haven't found the time to sit and do it, usually because there are some recent pictures to put up first. But I'm in the mood right now (and need to chill out after a very frustrating day with my little darlings) so here goes...recipe number one...
Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies (Betty Crocker)
Prep Time:1 hr 5 min, Makes:3 1/2 dozen cookies
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet choc chips
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, stir brown sugar and butter until blended. Stir in vanilla and egg until light and fluffy. Stir in oats, flour, baking soda and salt; stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Onto ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Did You Know? Cookie dough can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking. If it becomes too firm, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before using.
Storage: Cookie dough can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 9 months. Thaw just until soft enough to handle
This was just a recipe I found trying to use oats and we all really liked it. I don't usually like cookies (just the dough!) but I do like this one and I even like them a few days later (very unusual for me!). Hope you enjoy! Let me know if there is an interest for more...I've contemplated making a web page full of food storage information with recipes and 3 month supply info. It sounds like fun (I love computer stuff!!!) but didn't know if anyone but me would care or look at it!!!
2 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment