Saturday, October 11, 2008

All Tangled Up

**This was typed up last Saturday but I'm just now getting to post it...enjoy!**

So Daddy was wonderful this morning and took the three big girls out on a bike ride (in the cold wind) while the baby slept and I got caught up on a lot of work I really needed to get done. They rode for a little ways and then came back for kites. Great! I've been saving kites from last season and now we're actually going to use them! I pat myself on the back for not only saving them but for even knowing where they are. We spend time untangling the three kites. Then we start to put them together. One looked great, one was all right and the other needed lots of help. We found some wooden skewers to replace the missing sticks. We retape most of it. Untangle the obnoxiously long kite tails and the string and send the girls off. Daddy will continue the story...

We get out to a large field with nothing around. All three kites strings became tangled with the kite tails on the walk over. We untangle and I start to put Mg's up and she is happy. Moving on to E - SHE is tangled in her kite string. Untangle her, untangle her tail and her kite is up and she is happy. Then E's kite gets loose and flies away. E is "not happy." Wait - Mg's kite saves the day by trapping E's kite and they both come down, tangled together (the kites, kite strings and tails). While untangling them E's kite string breaks but a simple knot fixes that. It took quite a bit of time to untangle the two kites from each other and then to untangle the kite strings from the kite tails but eventually Mg's kite gets up in the air. I turn around and see that E has now hog tied herself in her own kite string, tangled and stuck, unable to move, again. Untangle E, untangle the kite string and tail, tie E's kite string BACK to the kite (the reason it originally got away) and send it up. Meanwhile M is helping Mg - Mg's kite keeps nose diving so M decides to run with it - right into E's kite's path. Thankfully Daddy prevented another collision. They never got the third kite up (the surgicially repaired kite never made it) and Mg's kite kept nosediving so everyone got to take turns with E's kite.

To quote M "Daddy, I think we spent more time untangling the kites than we did flying them." Daddy says "That's the truth." Daddy gets home and says, "We need new kites." Everyone got a turn to fly the good kite at least once. I asked Daddy if they had a good time...he says "It was an experience" (said with a smile). The kids were fine (except for when E was tangled up) but...we need new kites!

No comments: