Monday, March 30, 2009

Catch-up: Running club

The girls school started a new after school club this year that the girls were really excited to join: running club. Every Tuesday and Thursday after school the girls go run 1/8 mile laps for about 1/2 hour. Each child has a large popsicle stick with their name on it and every time they run a lap they take it to one of the parent volunteers who add another mark to the stick. After they get 20 marks they get a new stick...until they get to their 9th stick which is red and when you've done 13 laps (or something) you've run a marathon. The girls grandparents run marathons so the girls were really excited to run a marathon just like them and they love going to running club.

On good days I get out with them and walk with Mg and A and some of our friends...And finally the day came for E to run her marathon!!!! She counted down the days until she ran her marathon for weeks and was SO excited!!!! However when the time came she got a little overwhelmed by all the crowd cheering her on and...grrr...some of the big kids got int he way and broke the tape JUST before she went through! Ahh!! I was able to hold it up but as soon as she went through the same kids grabbed the tape and took off...poor E was absolutely DEVESTATED!!! I was able to go after the kids to get some of her tape (she had been wanting to hang it on her wall...I can't tell you HOW excited she was about running this marathon!!!) Mommy's surprise jamba juice helped a little, too but she didn't want to talk about it for a few days. Thankfully after that she returned to her happy little self and was so excited to tell people that she had run a marathon!!

(We tried to take the picture at the next running club so we would have a picture of her running through the tape (I missed that picture since I was holding up the tape!!) and although she agreed she was a little less than enthusiastic!)
The next running club after E ran her marathon it was M's turn to finish hers! Here's the group of kids lined up to cheer M on...
Here she comes!!! (and yes, she was LOVING every bit of attention!!!)
YEA!
Here is E on the actual day of her marathon (holding on to the recovered tape!!) with Mr. Yeaman, the teacher in charge (poor E just wanted to go home!)
Daddy was able to make a quick stop over at the kids school to watch both of them run their marathons!
I'm so proud of my girls!!

No comments: